Progress report reports progress
As the days go by we’re edging ever closer to the completion of our next EP. I’ve been poking and prodding each track to look for holes, and apart from a guitar part or two recording is almost done… Well, minus vocals, unfortunately. Laura has been travelling a lot and working rather long hours with her job, so we haven’t been able to nail down a lot of the vocal work. I’ve started mixing around most of the vocal scratch tracks, though, and have made a ton of progress. The mixing phase has been rather smooth so far — I think there’s a lot to be said for proper instrumentation that really eases the pain.
Anyway, still pretty well on course for a summer release. I had hoped for early summer, but it just didn’t work out.
In studio geek news, after a year and ridiculous amounts of fiddling and tweaking, I’ve finally exorcised the 8kHz squeal out of my UX8. Yes, I no longer have to feel like I’m mixing the day after a White Zombie concert. The only high pitched whine in my ears will be me if I ever decide to sing. After buying a bunch of different ground loop remedies and almost considering chucking the whole damn thing, the answer came down to something rather simple: don’t use the Line In inputs. They’re junk and cause significant heartache and consternation. As soon as I switched everything over to the XLR inputs all the problems went away. Easy-peasy.
Last but not least, our creaky, home-grown website has finally gotten the better of me, and I’ve decided to go all out for a fully WordPress one. When not in the studio my nights of late have consisted of watching trashy TV, sipping bourbon, and mucking about in PHP. I’m about 3/4 of the way through the technical aspects of it and have a really slick skin rolling. After that it’s all content content content… But the momentum is there to make this sucker work out.